22 April 2023

A young woman skiing in a swimsuit caused a controversy among women

Ida Hulkko is a 24-year-old Finnish general's daughter, a relative of Andy McCoy of Hanoi Rocks and competitive swimmer who has won silver at the European Championships. She is also active on social media and recently posted a video of herself skiing in her competition outfit, which happens to be a swimsuit. The video caused a storm of controversy, which Hulkko can best explain herself.

"It's amazing how much negative emotion one video that I found funny can stir up in people who don't even know me... Some people understood the humor, but others focused on the objectification and slut-shaming aspects. If I wanted attention, I could start an OnlyFans or do something else. And even if I did want attention, what's wrong with that?"

So is this about misogyny directed towards a young woman by men? Or even contempt for the entire female gender? The reader can ponder this in light of the swimmer's own comments.

"I receive hateful messages every day. Unfortunately, most of the hate speech comes from women. It's really sad. Nowadays, society talks a lot about feminism, but still some women are bullied on social media."

Furthermore, "I've been told, for example, that I disrespect female athletes and women's sports. I've also been slut-shamed, and I've even been accused of promoting a rape culture." 

I think this is pretty harsh talk for a young woman who is living best time of her life and excelling as an elite athlete, just because she humorously played around with Finnish seasons in an outfit that no one pays much attention to in the summer at the beach or even in the wintertime at the indoor swimming pool.

Previous thoughts on the same topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment on the blog posts, but I ask you to stay on topic and adhere to respectful language and good manners.